The Windows operating system is based on the DOS programing language while Mac is based on Unix.
Windows is universally used while Macintosh is used only on Apple’s hardware. As Windows is used by a majority of computer users, it is more vulnerable to being hacked. Macintosh is considered as a more secure operating system.
Windows is criticized for having less number of features as compared to Mac. Moreover, it is less responsive to higher amounts of computing operations. On the contrary, Macintosh boasts of a rich feature set and ease of use.
While Windows focuses on office function, Macintosh is focused on graphics and multimedia functions. Mac is considered suitable for entertainment purposes, whereas Windows is best suited for business use. Mac is popularly used for photo editing and for playing videos and music.
Similar functions that are executable on both Macintosh and Windows differ in their terminology. For example, the function of the Control key in Windows corresponds to that of the Command key on Macs. The Command prompt on Windows is known as the Terminal on Mac. The Windows control panel corresponds to System Preferences on Mac. Macintosh and Windows differ in file navigation and management, keyboard shortcuts and certain other computer operations. Also, window controls, menu bars and mouse buttons differ in their functionality in both the operating systems.
Incoming search terms:
- What are the differences between Lion and Windows operating systems?
- differences between mac and windows operating systems
- difference between macintosh and windows
- What are the differences between Lion and Windows operating systems
- what is the difference between mac and windows
- what is the difference between macintosh and windows
- difference between mac and windows operating systems
- difference between mac and pc operating systems
- what is the difference between lion and windows operating system
- differences between mac and pc operating systems
Filed Under: Mac Operating System